Skip to main content

Gangaikondacholapuram

Gangaikondacholapuram is located about 41KM from Kumbakonam.

Gangaikondapuram visit was a part of my Kumbakonam visit and  I must have spent about two hours here. I decided to take a bus to visit the temple. At the bus stand, I enquired if there was any direct buses plying to or via gangaikondacholapuram. I was told that a bridge in that area has collapsed, so I can take a bus until the bridge and then walk about 2 miles and then take another bus. I was thinking “Walking!!! That was a NO NO”. The localite continued saying that I can take a bus to Jayankondam instead and then change bus to Gangaikondacholapuram. I reached Jayankondam, in about an hour. I then changed bus and travel about 5-7 km to reach Gangaikondacholapuram. As I was reaching the place, I could see the imposing temple structure on the right hand side and I was wow!!!... It was a cloudy day, and it looked as if it would rain anytime. Since I was not carrying any rain gear(umbrella, waterproof bags) but had my camera, I was hoping that it should not rain for couple of hours, even-though I like rains and like getting wet in rain. 


I met the contact, whose detail I got from Kumbakonam. I was hoping he would take me around the place explaining the facts, and he just did that. I will mention the history of the place before I add pictures.
Gangaikondacholapuram, was established as the capital during the reign of Rajendra Cholan I, son of Raja raja Cholan I. It was a normal practice that when a new king succeeds, he would establish his capital in a different location. The Cholans had a very powerful navy fleet. Their rule extended to parts of Malayasia,  Java, Sumatra on the east. To Srilanka in the south. They had even conquered until the Ganges. To commemorate the victory, the Shiva temple was built, it was only next to the brihadeeshwara temple in Tanjore(built byhis father). The Cholan army also brought large quantity of water from Ganges. Since he had brought the Ganges, he was known as ‘Gangai Kondan’. The place was subsequently named Gangaikondacholapuram. Rajendra Chola I, had used the water from Ganges during Kumbhabishekam of the Shiva temple. The rest of the water was poured into a well adjacent to the temple.




....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nandyal - Yaganti - Belum Caves

Trip Log       Total distance covered about 750 Km The Riders:                Suraj - Royal Enfield Electra-5S(TN02 AD ----)                Krishna Mohan - Royal Enfield Electra-5S(AP 10 AN ----) Route  Hyderabad       | Kurnool       | Nandyal           |          Mahanandi       | Nandyal       | Yaganti       | Belum Caves       | Nandyal       | Hyderabad                  I was on speaking with Krishna Mohan over phone, telling him about my ride from Chennai, earlier that week and casually asked him, how about a ride this weekend?.... and he said why not!!!!!.. Told him I call him back later that day or the next day to decide where to ride. I called him later that day and we decided that we would ride to Nandyal, visit couple of temples then ride on to Yaganti and also visit Belum Caves before returning home. Like always we asked each other, start early? I then told him..... there's a

Punnathur Kota (Anakotta)

Punnathur Kotta AKA Anakotta It is a fantastic place of visit. Every visitor especially the children would be thrilled to see so many elephants in one place. Well, this is not a zoo. Unlike the zoo, where a variety of wild animals are housed, here the only animal we get to see are the majestic elephants. Most of these elephants are trained or being trained. These elephants are all of the elephant are shackled, however they are not in separate enclosures. Yes, it’s a heart-rending scene for any animal lover who would love to see them roam around freely.  You will get to see the caretaker/mahout feeding the elephants, giving them bath, elephants playing in water, mud. When moving around take care not to get too close to the elephants and not be too noisy near them. Elephants in musth are however kept in a separate enclosure.  Entry and still photography charges are nominal. Note, there are separate charges for still photography and videography. The sanct

DARASURAM

DARASURAM is located about 3 - 4 KM from Kumbakonam. The Airavateswara temple was constructed by Rajaraja Chola II in the 12th century. His grandsons had a short period of life. Rajaraja II was was his(Raja Raja I), grand-daughters son. Darasuram visit was a part of my Kumbakonam visit. I must have spent about one and half hour at Darasuram. I was not was not able to take more pictures here as someone yelled ‘photo edukadhengo’ (do not take pictures). I am sure I missed taking many more interesting pictures. I was also sweating profusely as it was a humid day and I had to be more cautious with the camera, this was also a reason for fewer pictures and picture clarity.  After the chola period, the islamic invaders(Nizams and Bahmani Sultans), destroyed many statues. In the 15th century the Rulers from Madurai region, The Nayakers did some work like paintings(vegetable paintings), extension on these temples. The vegetable paintings can still be seen on the walls and on the ceiling.